Have you ever thought about keeping track of the number of negative interactions you have each day? It seems pretty sad that we can be inundated every day with tons of negative responses. We try to block them out or ignore them. What's even worse is we barely notice them. They can build up though. People finally have one too many and SNAP. Is it me or are people getting ruder and ruder? I see it with the kids too. They just have this total disregard for people and act like they can say anything they want anytime. They have no empathy and no regard for any one's feelings. If it pops into their heads they say it. It seems really sad. Every morning I go fifteen minutes out of my way to go to a McDonalds to get my tea. I live five minutes from a McDonalds but the people who work there are rude and inept. So in order to start my day out on a good note, I drive the extra miles to get my tea. There is a very friendly woman who works there and she always gets my tea just right..unsweet with extra lemon. The one by my house tells me they have no lemon and 9 times out of 10 it is sweet tea not unsweet when I pull away. Some days I will pull back around and ask them to fix it. Almost always they look at me as if I am asking them to raise someone from the dead or some similar impossible feat. It's TEA for crying out loud. Two huge containers...one marked sweet one marked unsweet and I have noticed they are even COLOR CODED!! Yet for some reason I always find myself apologizing to them and almost feeling bad to be such a bother. This morning as luck would have it the girl at the "good" McDonalds was out. The lady in her place was NOT pleasant. She practically threw my drink at me and today of all days I realized I had no cash so I had to use my card. I thought she was going to come unglued. Seriously she was wigging out. Again I found myself apologizing and I drove away sheepishly feeling horrible. I thought to myself whatever happened to customer service? How in the world have things gotten this far out of control? The world is a sad and lonely place for people who like tea in the morning. In St. Pete my friend Jenn goes to the same Chick-Fil-A everyday. The woman who works there is named Linda and she is sweet efficient and she remembers you and calls you by name. Every day my friend waits in a huge line just to get her diet coke and a smile from Linda. We need positive interactions with people. We crave it. We will drive miles out of our way to get it and we will do anything to sustain it.
Even though I started my day out on a crappy note I was determined to make the best of the day. I was worried about my husband who was returning back to work today. The thing I LOVE and HATE about my job all at the same time is how it completely consumes me. I have total tunnel vision when I am in the classroom. Literally no world exists outside those four walls. It was 1:00 p,m, before I ever even gave a thought to anyone other then my students. Then I felt a huge pang of guilt for not thinking about my husband. I got home and decided to try a new Wii workout game. It was LAME. It asked me to put in my weight and I froze in terror. Now on my video game is a record of how totally fat I really am. My attention span with the game only lasted about a half an hour. Then everything is a blurr after that. I know I did dishes, started dinner, talked to Jenn who was totally pissed because a teacher at her school sent her a nasty two page e-mail because Jenn had ordered some books for her but they hadn't arrived yet. Now I'm doing this. HUH what happened to the hours in between? I am ending the day the way it started. Disappointed at the self indulged self absorbed people who think they are Elohim. Whether you pay for your dollar tea with a credit card or you order books that don't show up is it really that big of a deal? Do you really have to be nasty and rude? Which brings me to my favorite expressions...food is my friend...food loves me...food never yells or makes me feel like crap...food never snaps at me and makes fun of me.....food makes me feel warm and loved. And that is why I love you food I love you dearly with all my heart.
No comments:
Post a Comment